Optional SOCIETY 5.0 Group Excursion to the Pilanesberg National Park
A visit to the Pilanesberg National Park and Big 5 Game Reserve. This is South Africa’s 4th largest National Park. The excursion includes:
Bus transfer from the Future Africa Campus in Pretoria to the Pilanesberg National Park near Rustenburg (180km) and return. Including beverages and snacks.
Two x 3-hour game drives on open 4 x 4 game drive vehicle with a professional wildlife tour guide. We hope to spot the Big 5 on this excursion, including lion, elephant, leopard, rhino, and buffalo.
Lunch includes a beverage and an educational talk by the Pilanesberg Wildlife Trust on their efforts to protect the resident rhino population. (Please note: The buffet lunch and educational talk can only be offered if a Minimum of 20 people register and pay for the excursion)
Excursion Date: Saturday, 3 June 2023
Price: R 3750.00 per person
Reservations: Reservations and payments by Friday, 12 May 2023 on the registration site. Please email email@example.com should you require any additional information. (Accompanying persons and children are welcome).
1. About the Pilanesberg National Park | Home to the Big 5
The Pilanesberg National Park and game reserve is located north of Rustenburg in the North-West Province of South Africa. (This is a Malaria Free area). The game reserve is home to the Big Five game animals – including lion, elephant, buffalo, rhino and leopards. The game reserve has an area of 572 square kilometres (221 sq mi) and is the fourth largest national game reserve in South Africa.
The reserve has a rich variety of southern African plant and wildlife including most of the large animal species of southern Africa – such as lions, elephants, black rhinos, white rhinos, Cape buffaloes, leopards, cheetahs, zebras, giraffes, hippos and crocodiles. The reserve is also home to brown hyenas and wild dogs. The Pilanesberg National Park is home to more than 50 species of large mammals and many smaller species. The diversity of birdlife is also excellent with over 360 species having been recorded.
The area lies in the root zone of an extinct volcano, and is defined by alternating ridges and valleys forming concentric rings created by volcanic eruptions some 1,200 million years ago – a geological formation that rises abruptly in the form of hills 300–600 metres (980–1,970 ft) above the surrounding plains.
The Pilanesberg is named for chief Pilane of the Kgafêla people, who ruled from Bogopane, Mmamodimokwana and eventually Mmasebudule during the 1800s. It is one of the largest volcanic complexes of its type in the world, the rare rock types and formations make it a unique geological feature.
2. Programme | SOCIETY 5.0 Group Excursion | Pilanesberg National Park
Campus in Pretoria. (180 km – Approximately 2 Hrs and 15 Min.)
3. What to bring on the Game Drive
· A warm jacket and a beanie (Average temperatures in May/June vary from 7°C/45°F during early mornings to 23°C/73°F in the afternoons).
· Sunscreen, sunhat, and sunglasses
· Insect repellent (this is not a Malaria Area – there are however other mosquitos and insects)
4. What is included in the day-long excursion?
· Bus transfers from the Future Africa Campus to the Pilanesberg National Park and Return
· Breakfast Muffins (2), Juice and Water (on the bus)
· Pilanesberg National Park Entrance Fees
· 6-Hour Game Drive in 4×4, open Game Drive vehicles with a Professional Guide
· Lunch and one soft drink (A cash bar is available at the lunch venue should you wish to purchase any other beverages) (The details of the lunch menu are provided below)
· Tea/coffee and Rusks during the morning break and bottled water on the vehicle.
· Bottled water on the afternoon game drive.
· Snacks, juice and a bottle of water for the return journey on the bus.
5. Wallow Lite Lunch Menu
6. Crusty Ciabata loaves
7. Variety of freshly prepared Salad Platters
8. Tomato, Basil & Parmesan Phyllo Tart
9. Chicken Cordon Bleu fillets in creamy wine sauce served with rice and mixed vegetables
10. Thai Beef Noodle Stir-fry
11. Spinach & Feta Pancake Bake served with parmesan
12. Lemon Cheese Cake
13. Cheese Platter served with melba & crackers
14. Tea and Coffee served with chocolate sweet treat