The Conference Venue
Future Africa is a secluded, independent complex that is wholly owned by the University of Pretoria. It is only accessible to campus visitors, and is isolated from the hustle and bustle of the busy city centre. It therefore provides a calm, relaxing atmosphere. It is located within the University’s Hillcrest Campus on the institution’s Experimental Farm. The enclosed precinct is under the access control of the University’s security services, whose presence ensures the safety of visitors. Its compliance and all other aspects of campus governance adhere to the policies of the University of Pretoria, including the procedures governing campus security, which are managed in collaboration with the University’s directorates for facilities management, security, and occupational health and safety.
If you are travelling to Future Africa from OR Tambo International Airport we recommend you reserve a pre-arranged transfer. (Please note that you cannot travel to Future Africa with public transport). Please see transfer information here
Travel Advice and Health Regulations
We recommend a visit to the International Air Transport Association (IATA) Travel Centre as it features up to date information on all international and South African passport, visa and health regulations as well as information on customs, currency and airport information.
CLICK HERE FOR IATA TRAVEL CENTRE
Travel advice and visa requirements
It is the attendee’s responsibility to enquire about the visa requirements for South Africa and apply for a visa, if necessary. We recommend that you check current visa regulations with the South African Consulate in your home country before you travel. A list of South African Consulates around the world can be found here.
Please ensure you allow sufficient time to apply for your visa. Processing time for a visa will also differ from country to country. You cannot apply for a visa on arrival.
Many nationalities are exempt from South African visas – for a list of these countries see here.
Please note that these requirements differ from country to country and may change without notice. When applying for a visa to attend the conference you will apply for a visitor’s visa.
If you do not benefit from visa exceptions.
CLICK HERE FOR VISA REQUIREMENTS
Please advise should you require a letter of support for your visa application – by sending your request to Renee le Roux at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the following information in your request:
· Your full name as it appears in your passport and your passport number
· Name of the academic institution and physical address
· Title of your paper, should you be presenting a paper at the conference
Documents needed to enter South Africa
* Please visit the website of the Department of Home Affairs by clicking on the link above for a comprehensive list of requirements.
· At least two blank pages in your passport for endorsements.
· An acceptable passport or travel document valid for your intended stay.
· A valid visa, if required.
· Sufficient funds to pay for your day-to-day expenses during your stay.
· A return or onward ticket.
· Yellow fever certificates if your journey starts or passes through the yellow fever belt of Africa or South America.
Malaria and Bilharzia
· Malaria is endemic in some parts of Mpumalanga, Northern Province, and northern KwaZulu-Natal for which it is essential to take precautions. (https://www.health.gov.za/malaria/)
· The Bilharzia parasite occurs in rivers, lakes, and dams in some of the northern and eastern parts of the country, and visitors should avoid contact with the water in these regions as there is no immunization against bilharzia.
Travelling with children
We strongly recommend you visit the South Africa Department of Home Affairs website for requirements when travelling to South Africa with minors (children under 18 years).
Pretoria and Surrounds Day Tours
The following day tours are recommended – but many other tours are available:
Soweto Tour including lunch
The Cradle of Humankind: Maropeng Centre, Sterkfontein, and Wonder Caves with lunch at The Carnivore Restaurant
Cullinan Diamond Mine Surface Tour including a Pretoria City Tour
All Society 5.0 and DESRIST attendees are eligible for a 5% discount on all Ulysses Travel tours and excursions. To qualify for the discount please use the following discount code when making a reservation via their booking portal: DESRIST2023.
Click here for more information and to Book a Tour